Scrambled Egg Casserole Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded process American cheese
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 12 eggs, beaten
- 1 jar (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1-1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- Additional sliced green onions, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Whisk in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat. Stir in cheese; set aside.
- 2. In a large skillet, saute ham and onions in 3 tablespoons butter until onions are tender. Add eggs; cook and stir until eggs are almost set. Stir in mushrooms and cheese sauce. Transfer to a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Melt remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over top. Cover and refrigerate for 2-3 hours or overnight.
- 3. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until top is golden brown. Sprinkle with additional green onions if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 358 calories, 26 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 376 mg cholesterol, 885 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 19 g protein.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.