Scrambled Egg Casserole with Cheese Sauce Recipe
- CHEESE SAUCE:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 7-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cubed process cheese (Velveeta)
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 12 large eggs, beaten
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2-1/4 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1. To make cheese sauce, in a large skillet, melt butter; stir in flour and cook for 1 minute. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Add the salt, pepper and cheese; stir until cheese melts. Set aside.
- 2. In a small skillet, saute ham and green onion in 3 tablespoons butter until onion is tender. Add eggs and cook over medium heat until eggs are set; stir in mushrooms and cheese sauce.
- 3. Spoon eggs into greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Combine topping ingredients; spread evenly over egg mixture. Cover; chill overnight. Uncover; bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Yield: 10-12 servings.
3/4 cup: 256 calories, 19g fat (10g saturated fat), 253mg cholesterol, 615mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 13g protein.
Reviews for Scrambled Egg Casserole with Cheese Sauce
"I've made this recipe for years. My grown children are all vegetarian, so we leave out the ham and add a can of chopped green chiles. One of them hates mushrooms, so we leave those out. It's a wonderful dish, and making it ahead really helps."
"This is wonderful!! So creamy and cheesy, I will make this again, maybe for overnight guests."
"This was so good! Next time I'm going to put down a layer of hashbrown potatoes first, just because there is so much sauce, I think it could handle another layer."