- 1 loaf (1 pound) unsliced French bread
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 6 large eggs
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Prepare campfire or grill for medium heat. Cut bread crosswise in half; cut each piece lengthwise in half. Hollow out two pieces, leaving 1/2-in. shells. Cut removed bread into cubes; reserve 1-1/2 cups (save remaining cubes for another use). Spread 1 tablespoon softened butter over bread shells. Spread remaining softened butter over remaining bread halves. Set aside.
- In a small Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon butter over campfire. Add onion; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until tender. Stir in ham and tomato; remove from pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs and pepper. In same pan, heat remaining butter. Pour in egg mixture; cook and stir until eggs are thickened and no liquid egg remains. Stir in ham mixture, 1 cup cheese and reserved bread cubes. Spoon filling into bread shells; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Transfer to a 13x9-in. disposable foil pan; cover with foil.
- Place pan over campfire. Cook 8-10 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. Cook reserved bread halves, buttered side down, 1-2 minutes or until toasted. Cut each piece of egg bread and toast in half. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Scrambled Egg Bread in Simple & Delicious June/July 2015
Reviews for Scrambled Egg Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review