Many games involve letters, so I thought alphabet soup would be ideal to serve at my theme party, which included an evening of playing board games and cards. I concocted the hearty soup using ingredients I had on hand.
12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 6 cups water
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup each chopped celery, carrot, turnip and potato
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup uncooked alphabet pasta
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, cook beef and onion over medium heat
- until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add water, vegetables and
- seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 20 minutes or
- until the vegetables are crisp-tender. Add pasta; simmer for 15
- minutes or until the pasta and vegetables are tender. Yield: 12
- servings (3 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 153 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 426 mg sodium,