- cover and simmer for 2 hours or until meat is very tender.
- Remove shank from broth; cool slightly. Remove meat from bone; cut
- into small pieces. Discard bone. Strain broth, discarding vegetables
- and seasonings.
- Skim fat from broth. In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Stir
- in barley. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Add the turnips, carrots, leek, salt and pepper. Return to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are
- tender. Add lamb; heat through. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1-1/2 cups equals 224 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 601 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 15 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Wine: Medium-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.