Scotch Broth Soup
Early in winter, I make up big pots of this hearty soup to freeze in plastic containers. Then I can bring out one or two containers at a time. I heat the frozen soup in a saucepan on low all morning. By lunchtime, it's hot and ready to serve! —Ann Main, Moorefield, Ontario
6-8 ServingsPrep: 3 hours 20 min. + chilling Cook: 1 hour
- 2 pounds meaty beef soup bones (beef shanks or short ribs)
- 8 cups water
- 6 whole peppercorns
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped turnips
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup medium pearl barley
- In a large soup kettle, combine soup bones, water, peppercorns and
- salt. Cover and simmer for 2-1/2 hours or until the meat comes
- easily off the bones.
- Remove bones. Strain broth; cool and chill. Skim off fat. Remove meat
- from bones; dice and return to broth along with remaining
- ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer about 1
- hour or until vegetables and barley are tender. Yield: 6-8 servings
- (2 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 155 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 499 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 15 g protein.