Scotch Braised Beef Recipe
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 small turnip, peeled and diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 pounds beef top round roast
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 10 whole peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh marjoram or 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute bacon, carrot, turnip and onion in butter for 3 minutes. Remove vegetables with a slotted spoon; set aside. Add roast; brown on all sides. Return vegetables to the pan. Add broth. Place peppercorns on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners and tie with string to form a bag. Add to the pan with the other seasonings. Cover and simmer for 2 hours or until meat is tender. Remove roast; discard spice bag. Thicken pan drippings if desired to serve with the roast. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 417 calories, 25 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 126 mg cholesterol, 660 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 42 g protein.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.