Schreiner's Baked Lamb Shanks Recipe
- 4 lamb shanks (14 to 16 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- Mint jelly, optional
- 1. Place the lamb shanks in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and reduce heat to 350°. Add broth to the pan. Combine onion, rosemary, garlic powder and mustard; sprinkle over lamb. Cover tightly and bake for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until very tender. If desired, make gravy from pan drippings. Serve lamb with gravy and mint jelly if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 115 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 1,140 mg sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 12 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.