- 4 lamb shanks (14 to 16 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- Mint jelly, optional
- Place the lamb shanks in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and reduce heat to 350°. Add broth to the pan. Combine onion, rosemary, garlic powder and mustard; sprinkle over lamb. Cover tightly and bake for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until very tender. If desired, make gravy from pan drippings. Serve lamb with gravy and mint jelly if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Schreiner's Baked Lamb Shanks
"I have made this one for years and everyone loves it. Have tried several more complicated recipes and they are no better, some times worse"
"I'm looking for a lamb shank recipe where lamb is baked in a paper bag. Does anyone have such a recipe?[email protected]"