When I was a school cook, the students loved my chili because they thought it didn't have beans in it. They didn't know I puree the beans, tomatoes, onions and green pepper to create a tasty, vitamin-packed chili! —Mary Selner, Green Bay, Wisconsin
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) mild chili beans, undrained
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 to 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked spaghetti, optional
- In a blender, combine the tomatoes, beans, onion and green pepper; cover and puree until smooth.
- In a large saucepan, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add seasonings and pureed vegetables. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Serve with spaghetti if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Schoolhouse Chili in Taste of Home February/March 1994, p16
Reviews for Schoolhouse Chili
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review