The kids at our local elementary school enjoyed the sweet sandwich cookies at our fall open house. Since they're so simple to whip up, they would also be a fun last-minute addition to back-to-school party, youth get-together or graduation celebration.—Diane Hunt, Camden, Indiana
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
- Red, yellow, green and blue food coloring
- 8 whole graham crackers, halved
- Shoestring black licorice
- 1 tube (4-1/4 ounces) black decorating icing
- Place 1/4 cup of frosting in each of four bowls; tint one red, one
- yellow, one green and one blue. Cover and set aside.
- With remaining frosting, frost half of the graham crackers; top with
- remaining crackers. Frost the top of two sandwiches with one color
- of frosting. Repeat with remaining colors.
- Cut licorice into eight 2-1/2-in. strips. Place along one edge of
- each cracker. Insert writing tip into decorating icing tube; pipe a
- title on the front of each book. Place on wire racks to dry. Yield:
- 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 360 calories, 12 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 455 mg sodium, 62 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.