School Day Chowder
"This hearty soup is a nice change-of-pace lunch for 'brown-baggers'," remarks field editor Karen Ann Bland of Gove, Kansas. "It stays hot for hours in a tightly sealed insulated container. It's a full meal with fresh fruit and a couple of cookies."
5 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1/2 pound hot dogs, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 cup sliced carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, combine the hot dogs, celery, carrot, green
- pepper, onion and butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until
- vegetables are tender. Stir in flour and pepper until blended.
- Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or
- until thickened. Add cheese; stir until melted. Yield: 5 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 503 calories, 40 g fat (23 g saturated fat), 115 mg cholesterol, 915 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 20 g protein.