School Day Chowder Recipe
"This hearty soup is a nice change-of-pace lunch for 'brown-baggers'," remarks field editor Karen Ann Bland of Gove, Kansas. "It stays hot for hours in a tightly sealed insulated container. It's a full meal with fresh fruit and a couple of cookies."
- 1/2 pound hot dogs, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 cup sliced carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the hot dogs, celery, carrot, green pepper, onion and butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until vegetables are tender. Stir in flour and pepper until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add cheese; stir until melted. Yield: 5 servings.
1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 503 calories, 40 g fat (23 g saturated fat), 115 mg cholesterol, 915 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 20 g protein.
Reviews for School Day Chowder
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC