School Bus Cake Recipe
Here comes the big yellow bus! Kayla could hardly wait to board a real one to go to kindergarten, so I made her birthday cake to look like a school bus. It wasn't very complicated to decorate, yet everyone immediately recognized the sweet vehicle. -Leslie Miller, Butler, Pennsylvania
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup shortening
- 8 to 9 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons black paste or gel food coloring
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon yellow paste or liquid food coloring
- 2 Oreo cookies, cut in half
- 2 yellow gumdrops
- 6 red gumdrops
- 1. Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Pour batter into two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 3. Place cakes end to end on a 22-in. x 8-in. covered board. Level if needed. From the top of one end, form the front of the bus by cutting out a section 1 in. deep and 3 in. long (Save the removed piece for another use.)
- 4. For frosting, in a large bowl, beat butter and shortening until fluffy. Add 6 cups confectioners' sugar, milk, vanilla and salt; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining confectioners' sugar until desired consistency is reached.
- 5. Tint 3/4 cup frosting with black food coloring; set aside. Tint remaining frosting yellow. Frost top and sides of cake with yellow frosting. Frost cut edge of cookies with yellow frosting to form wheel wells; place two cookie halves on each side of bus.
- 6. Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert a #5 round tip. Fill the bag with black frosting. Outline windows on both sides of bus; pipe strips under windows. Pipe windshield and back window; fill in with black frosting. Pipe lines on front of grille. Place yellow gumdrops on front of bus for headlights; place red gumdrops on front and back for lights. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews for School Bus Cake
Reviewed Sep. 2, 2009
"I'm JOY me and my 7! girls julia and Alli 5,Cara 4,Annie and Jinger 3kalie 1,and Hannie [Johanna].thanks so much!!!!!"
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC