Before the days of automatic mixers, this recipe involved long and tiresome beating. Many times, husbands were drafted to help when the tired arms of the wife gave out. But nowadays, Schaum Torte is a breeze to prepare.
8-10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
- 6 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled, sliced and sweetened
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for
- 30 minutes. Beat egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar;
- continue beating until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1
- tablespoon at a time, beating until mixture is stiff and glossy. Add
- vanilla and vinegar; mix well. Spread batter in a greased 10-in.
- springform pan.
- Bake at 275° for 1 hour. Turn oven off; let torte cool in oven.
- With a sharp knife, cut around edges of pan; turn torte onto a
- platter. Serve with ice cream, strawberries and whipped cream.
- Yield: 8-10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 311 calories, 12 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 64 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.