Schaum Torte Recipe
Before the days of automatic mixers, this recipe involved long and tiresome beating. Many times, husbands were drafted to help when the tired arms of the wife gave out. But nowadays, Schaum Torte is a breeze to prepare.
- 6 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled, sliced and sweetened
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Beat egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar; continue beating until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until mixture is stiff and glossy. Add vanilla and vinegar; mix well. Spread batter in a greased 10-in. springform pan.
- Bake at 275° for 1 hour. Turn oven off; let torte cool in oven. With a sharp knife, cut around edges of pan; turn torte onto a platter. Serve with ice cream, strawberries and whipped cream. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Schaum Torte in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook 1994, p85
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Schaum Torte(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review