- 6 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled, sliced and sweetened
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Beat egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar; continue beating until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until mixture is stiff and glossy. Add vanilla and vinegar; mix well. Spread batter in a greased 10-in. springform pan.
- Bake at 275° for 1 hour. Turn oven off; let torte cool in oven. With a sharp knife, cut around edges of pan; turn torte onto a platter. Serve with ice cream, strawberries and whipped cream. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Schaum Torte in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook 1994, p85
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Schaum Torte
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review