- 8 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1-1/2 cups whipped cream
- Place egg whites in a large bowl and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 300°. Add vinegar, vanilla and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Spread into a greased 10-in. springform pan. Bake 50-60 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to a wire rack to cool (meringue will fall).
- Serve with strawberries and whipped cream. Store leftovers in the refrigerator. Yield: 12 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Schaum Strawberry Torte
"'Schaum' is 'foam' in German, and it's a nice light foamy meringue! Bit chewy which is delicious, it was an easy recipe and came out beautifully."
"Recipe is excellent! However, I really don't like your new format for printing recipes. Is it really necessary to make the font and spacing so big that every recipe is at LEAST 2 pages long, even with eliminating the picture, nutritional info, and wine pairing? I'm so hoping that you can add an option for that so that we can fit everything on 1 page. Thanks!"
"The person who wrote that it was "the worst recipe I have ever attempted to make" didn't make it right. Ideally you need a really good mixer, such as a KitchenAid. You need to beat the egg whites until they are glossy and hold stiff peaks -- the stiffer the better. If you do that, the schaum torte will come out great. Everyone just raved over it. I used 9 egg whites (probably one too many) and the full 2 cups of sugar. I didn't think it was too sweet."
"This is the worst recipe I have ever attempted to make. None of it works, you end up with a horrid eggy mess. This pastry abomination has ruined my taste buds, and my life. I am going to kill myself on Friday because of what this Torte has done to me. Thanks a lot, goodbye forever."
"Absolutely loved this. I used blueberries and raspberries and a blackberry & lavender sauce. Sooooo good. Both of my great nephews liked it too. It was so easy and convenient to make."