This recipe was handed down from my German grandma. She took great pride in serving this delicate dessert. Whenever I make it, I'm filled with warm memories of childhood. -Diane Krisman, Hales Corners, Wisconsin
- 8 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1-1/2 cups whipped cream
- Place egg whites in a large bowl and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 300°. Add vinegar, vanilla and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Spread into a greased 10-in. springform pan. Bake 50-60 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to a wire rack to cool (meringue will fall).
- Serve with strawberries and whipped cream. Store leftovers in the refrigerator. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Strawberry Schaum Torte in Reminisce November/December 2001, p49
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Schaum Strawberry Torte
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review