Scented Rice in Baked Pumpkin Recipe
This easy, delicious and healthy side is a showpiece that always delights. You can use grain, squash, fruits and nuts to suite your taste—it's impossible to go wrong! —Lynn Heisel, Jackson, Missouri
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 35 min. YIELD:2 servings
- 1 small pie pumpkin (about 2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans, toasted
- 3 dried apricots, chopped
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1. Wash pumpkin; cut into six wedges. Remove loose fibers and seeds from the inside and discard or save seeds for toasting. Brush wedges with oil. Place onto an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 35-40 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring rice and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Stir in the pecans, apricots, raisins, salt, curry, cinnamon and cardamom if desired.
- 3. Set four pumpkin wedges aside for another use. Sprinkle cumin onto remaining wedges; top with rice mixture. Yield: 2 servings.
1 pumpkin wedge and 3/4 cup rice equals 389 calories, 15 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 309 mg sodium, 62 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC