- 1 small pie pumpkin (about 2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans, toasted
- 3 dried apricots, chopped
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- Wash pumpkin; cut into six wedges. Remove loose fibers and seeds from the inside and discard or save seeds for toasting. Brush wedges with oil. Place onto an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 35-40 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring rice and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Stir in the pecans, apricots, raisins, salt, curry, cinnamon and cardamom if desired.
- Set four pumpkin wedges aside for another use. Sprinkle cumin onto remaining wedges; top with rice mixture. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews forScented Rice in Baked Pumpkin
"The flavor of pumpkin is not there because the rice and the pumpkin is cooked separate."