Scarecrow Veggie Pizza Recipe
AT HARVEST PARTIES, fall festivals or any autumn event, the flavorful fellow here will raise a crop of smiles! To stuff this savory appetizer full of good taste, our Test Kitchen cooks shaped a scarecrow using red peppers, carrots, broccoli and lots of other fresh veggies. Since you can make the crust with refrigerated dough and quickly prepare a cream cheese spread to put on top, you'll be ready to form your own colorful character in no time.
- 1 tube (10 ounces) refrigerated pizza dough
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3/4 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1/4 teaspoon onion salt
- 1 small sweet red pepper
- 1 small green pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 small carrot, chopped
- 10 fresh green beans
- 5 pieces Wheat Chex
- 1 large mushroom, halved
- 1 small head cauliflower, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped broccoli
- 1 pattypan squash, halved
- 2 green onion tops, cut into strips
- 1/4 cup chow mein noodles
- Press pizza dough onto a greased 14-in. pizza pan. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, mayonnaise, dill, garlic salt, onion and onion salt. Spread over cooled crust.
- Scarecrow: Refer to the photo for the size of vegetable pieces and the position of pieces on pizza.
- From a small piece of red pepper, cut a narrow smile for mouth and a triangle for nose. Chop remaining red pepper and set aside.
- Cut one ring from green pepper for the scarecrow's head. Chop remaining green pepper and set aside.
- Position green pepper ring on pizza for the scarecrow's head. Fill with shredded Swiss cheese. Place two carrot pieces on face for eyes. Add red pepper nose and mouth on face.
- Use green beans to create the outline of a shirt and bib overalls below head where shown in the photo.
- Combine chopped red pepper and remaining chopped carrot. Sprinkle on pizza to fill in the shirt. Use chopped green pepper to fill in bib overalls.
- Place cereal on the elbows, knees and bib of overalls for patches.
- Add a mushroom half at the bottom of each pants leg for shoes.
- Arrange cauliflower around scarecrow for sky. Arrange broccoli at the bottom for grass.
- Place one squash half above head for hat. Cut the remaining portion of squash in half again. Place green onion strips and one squash quarter on each side of scarecrow for corn and husks.
- For straw, place chow mein noodles below hat, on each side of neck, at the end of each arm and above shoes. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Scarecrow Veggie Pizza in Country Woman September/October 2002, p14
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
Reviews for Scarecrow Veggie Pizza
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Appetizer Pizza Recipes >
- Appetizers >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cold Appetizer Recipes >
- Cold Finger Food Recipes >
- Country Woman Appetizers >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Cream Cheese Recipes >
- Finger Food Recipes >
- Finger Foods & Finger Food Recipes >
- Halloween Appetizers >
- Halloween Party Recipes >
- Halloween Recipes >
- Holiday Finger Foods >
- Hors d'oeuvre Recipes >
- Mushroom Appetizers >