This chili has hearty flavor but isn't too spicy, so even the younger kids like it.—Barb Schlafer, Appleton, Wisconsin
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (46 ounces) tomato juice
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 to 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, celery and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato juice, tomatoes, beans, soup, water, chili powder, brown sugar, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir in macaroni. Cook, uncovered, 5 minutes longer or until heated through. Discard bay leaves before serving. Yield: 16 servings (4 quarts).
Originally published as Scarecrow Chili in Taste of Home October/November 2004, p60
Reviews for Scarecrow Chili
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review