Scarborough Fair Herb Bread Recipe
Our dinner group hosted a meal with the theme of Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme, which are mentioned in Simon & Garfunkel's "Scarborough Fair" song. Those herbs fabulously flavor this delightful bread.—Laurel Leslie, Sonora, California
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons each minced fresh sage, rosemary and thyme
- 2-1/2 cups warm water (120° to 130°)
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 4 cups flour, yeast, sugar, salt and herbs. Add water; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Shape into two loaves. Place in greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Brush with butter. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
1 slice: 95 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 151mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.
Reviews for Scarborough Fair Herb Bread
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC