Scandinavian Rye Crisps
To celebrate our Norwegian heritage, my family's Christmas feast includes many Scandinavian dishes. These crispy little rounds made with rye flour are one of the "can't miss" specialties on our holiday menu.
10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup rye flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup water
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients; cut in butter
- until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually add water, tossing
- with a fork until dough forms a ball (dough will be dry).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times. Divide dough into 10
- pieces. Roll each piece into a 6-in. circle. Place on greased baking
- sheets. Prick entire surface of each circle with a fork.
- Bake at 325° for 12-15 minutes or until firm. Turn; bake 6-7
- minutes longer or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire
- racks to cool. Yield: 10 crisps.