Scandinavian Rye Crisps Recipe
To celebrate our Norwegian heritage, my family's Christmas feast includes many Scandinavian dishes. These crispy little rounds made with rye flour are one of the "can't miss" specialties on our holiday menu.
- 1-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup rye flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup water
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball (dough will be dry).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times. Divide dough into 10 pieces. Roll each piece into a 6-in. circle. Place on greased baking sheets. Prick entire surface of each circle with a fork.
- Bake at 325° for 12-15 minutes or until firm. Turn; bake 6-7 minutes longer or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 10 crisps.
Originally published as Scandinavian Rye Crisps in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2007, p35
Reviews for Scandinavian Rye Crisps(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review