Scandinavian Meatballs with Dill Sauce Recipe
This recipe is handwritten in a cookbook that's used so often, I have to hold it together with rubber bands! The meatballs have appealing old-world flavor. —Linda Swanson, Riverside, Washington
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup shredded peeled apple
- 1/2 cup chopped raisins
- 1/2 cup cubed rye bread (1/4-inch cubes)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds, optional
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 teaspoons snipped fresh dill or 1/2 to 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1 cup (8 ounces) plain yogurt
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, cream, apple, raisins, bread, onions, almonds if desired, salt and pepper. Crumble meat over mixture and mix well.
- 2. Shape into 2-in. balls. Place on a greased rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add the broth and dill. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in yogurt and water chestnuts. Serve with meatballs. Yield: 8-10 servings.
3 each: 388 calories, 27g fat (14g saturated fat), 150mg cholesterol, 538mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 22g protein
Reviews for Scandinavian Meatballs with Dill Sauce
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC