Scandinavian Cinnamon Rolls Recipe
These rolls have been a family favorite since I started baking them more than 35 years ago. They're so easy to do-especially for first-time yeast bakers-because they require no kneading.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in water; set aside. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt; cut in the butter until crumbly. Add yeast mixture, milk and egg yolks; stir to form a soft dough. Cover and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight. Divide dough in half; roll each half into a 12-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Spread with butter. Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle half over each piece. Roll up, jelly-roll style, starting at the long end. Cut each roll into 12 slices. Place in greased muffin cups. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. For glaze, cream sugar and butter in a bowl. Add vanilla and milk; beat until smooth. Remove rolls to a wire rack; spread with glaze. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 467 calories, 22 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 110 mg cholesterol, 414 mg sodium, 61 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC