Scandinavian Almond Bars Recipe
Delicate and crisp with a rich butter and almond flavor, these cookies are irresistible—and they look so lovely on a cookie tray! They're a tradition for us and definitely worth the extra effort they require. —Melva Baumer, Millmont, Pennsylvania
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, chopped
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1. In a large bowl, cream sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
- 2. Beat in egg and extract. Combine dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- 3. Divide dough into fourths; form into 12-in. x 3-in. rectangles. Place 5 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Brush with milk; sprinkle with almonds.
- 4. Bake at 325° for 18-20 minutes or until firm to the touch and edges are lightly browned. Cool on pans for 5 minutes, then cut diagonally into 1-in. slices. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- 5. In a small bowl, combine the confectioner's sugar, extract and enough milk to achieve desired consistency; drizzle over bars. Yield: about 4 dozen.
2 bars equals 134 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 100 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC