Scandinavian Almond Bars Recipe
Delicate and crisp with a rich butter and almond flavor, these cookies are irresistible—and they look so lovely on a cookie tray! They're a tradition for us and definitely worth the extra effort they require. —Melva Baumer, Millmont, Pennsylvania
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, chopped
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extract. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- 2. Divide dough into four portions. Roll or pat each portion into a 12x3-in. rectangle. Place 5 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Brush with milk; sprinkle with almonds.
- 3. Bake 18-20 minutes or until firm and edges are light brown. Cool on pans 5 minutes; cut diagonally into 1-in. slices. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- 4. In a small bowl, mix confectioner's sugar, extract and enough milk to reach desired consistency; drizzle over bars. Yield: about 4 dozen.
1 cookie equals 67 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 46 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC