Scandinavian Almond Bars Recipe
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, chopped
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- In a large bowl, cream sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg and extract. Combine dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Divide dough into fourths; form into 12-in. x 3-in. rectangles. Place 5 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Brush with milk; sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake at 325° for 18-20 minutes or until firm to the touch and edges are lightly browned. Cool on pans for 5 minutes, then cut diagonally into 1-in. slices. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine the confectioner's sugar, extract and enough milk to achieve desired consistency; drizzle over bars. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Reviews for Scandinavian Almond Bars
Sort By :
"Very easy and yummy,,,they look so pretty"
"I have made this for years and it is one of our family's favorite Christmas cookies that MUST be make! Yummy!"
"Huge hit at church! Everyone loved them!"
"This is our favorite cookie at Christmas. My family doesn't care if I make anything else as long as there is a steady supply of this recipe. So easy but elegant! YUMMY!"
"Wonderfully flavored, gourmet looking cookies! The dough came out extremely dry and crumbly, but except for a little difficulty in shaping was absolutely fine. Took them to a birthday party and got lots of compliments!"