Scallops in Shells Recipe
- 2 cups water
- 16 sea scallops (about 2 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups thinly sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons sherry
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 8 scallop shells
- 1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1. Place water in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; add scallops and poach, uncovered, 6 minutes or until firm and opaque. Drain scallops, reserving 1 cup liquid.
- 2. Sprinkle scallops with salt. In a large skillet, saute mushrooms and shallots in butter until tender. Add scallops; cook 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat and set aside.
- 3. For sauce, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk and reserved poaching liquid. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheese, sherry, salt, lemon juice, pepper and lemon peel; add to skillet.
- 4. Preheat oven to 375°. Divide scallop mixture among eight scallop shells. Combine bread crumbs and melted butter; sprinkle over tops. Place on an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake 8-12 minutes or until crumbs are golden brown. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving: 250 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 764mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 21g protein .
Reviews for Scallops in Shells
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.