Scallops in Shells Recipe
For a formal dinner, try my elegant scallop recipe as a first course. The buttery scallops are served in a rich, creamy sauce.Jane Rossen, Binghamton, New York
- 2 cups water
- 16 sea scallops (about 2 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups thinly sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons sherry
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 8 scallop shells
- 1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Place water in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; add scallops and poach, uncovered, for 6 minutes or until firm and opaque. Drain scallops, reserving 1 cup liquid.
- Sprinkle scallops with salt. In a large skillet, saute mushrooms and shallots in butter until tender. Add scallops; cook 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- For sauce, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk and reserved poaching liquid. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the cheese, sherry, salt, lemon juice, pepper and lemon peel; add to skillet.
- Divide scallop mixture among eight scallop shells. Combine bread crumbs and melted butter; sprinkle over tops. Place on an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 375° for 8-12 minutes or until crumbs are golden brown. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Scallops in Shells in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2012, p44
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Scallops in Shells(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review