- 3 cups diced peeled turnips
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoons salt, optional
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup crushed cornflakes
- 2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese or grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- Place the turnips, water and sugar in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer, for 5-8 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- In another saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour and salt if desired until smooth. Gradually add milk; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Stir in turnips.
- Pour into a greased 1-qt. baking dish; sprinkle with cornflakes and cheese if desired. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20 minutes or until bubbly. Garnish with parsley if desired. Yield: 5 servings.
Reviews for Scalloped Turnips
Sort By :
Free veggies at church last Sunday. There was mostly turnips left, so I took some home. It's my first time cooking and eating turnips. This recipe was quite tasty. I used cheddar cheese and I added a bit more salt and added pepper. A great way to eat healthy vegetables. Thank you for sharing!
It was very easy to make and my kids loved it!
This is a really good recipe, making an often-maligned vegetable appealing even to unaccustomed palates.