- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh or canned mushrooms
- 1 cup crushed butter-flavored crackers (about 25 cracker)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley or 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 6 medium tomatoes, quartered
- In a skillet, saute garlic in 2 tablespoons butter for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook until heated through. Remove from the heat. Add cracker crumbs, parsley, salt, pepper and remaining butter; mix well. Place tomatoes in a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Top with the mushroom mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Scalloped Tomatoes
"I used Italian bread crumbs and I found the bread crumbs to be very tasty! I also made adjustments to this recipe by using a 14.5-oz. can of UNDRAINED DelMonte stewed tomatoes, UNDRAINED, the garlic clove which I CRUSHED, 4 Tbsp. melted margarine to conserve on my butter supply and divided as recipe states, 1/2 cup of Italian bread crumbs, rather than 1 cup! I noticed that the mushroom mixture was more moist, using less crumbs, rather than using the entire 1 cup of crackers/crumbs! I omitted the parsley flakes since Italian bread crumbs have parsley flakes. I quartered the stewed tomatoes. I also used a 4-oz. can of mushroom stems/pieces, WELL DRAINED, the 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper! I also placed the tomatoes in a 1-qt. greased casserole dish, topped with the mushroom/crumb topping and baked on a baking sheet for 30 minutes at 400o F. to really make sure that the dish baked through! I tasted this dish and found it to be very tasty! The Parmesan cheese added to the topping is a great idea & sprinkling some grated Mozzarella cheese on top of the tomatoes also would give more of an Italian-style flavor to this dish!That was a really great idea, copper_eos! delowenstein"
"Great use of summer tomatoes. Will do again."