- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 3/4 teaspoon plus 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon plus 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups cubed bread
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup Rice Krispies, slightly crushed
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth. In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium heat. Stir in corn, evaporated milk, 3/4 teaspoon sugar and 1/2 teaspoon salt; bring just to a boil. Stir in cornstarch mixture; return to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened; cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, pepper and the remaining sugar and salt until blended. Stir in bread, onion and corn mixture. Transfer to a greased 8-in. square or 1-1/2-qt. baking dish.
Bake, uncovered, 40 minutes. In a small bowl, toss Rice Krispies with melted butter; sprinkle over casserole. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until golden brown.
Freeze option: Cool unbaked casserole, reserving Rice Krispies topping for baking; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake casserole as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Scalloped Sweet Corn Casserole
"I followed the directions exactly. We did not like the bread in this dish. It was not real tasty. I have used Southern Living's Tee's Corn Pudding for years but thought I would try this. Very disappointing!"
"FYI...1 small onion is about 4 oz or 1/2 cup. I go easy on the onion and like just enough to lend flavor! ....thanks for trying my recipe. I enjoy reading comments so please submit a review!"