- 2 cups thinly sliced peeled rutabaga
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter, melted, divided
- 1/2 cup sliced peeled tart apple
- 1/3 cup apple juice
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- Place 1 in. of water in a saucepan; add rutabaga. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 7-9 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain. In a small bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, salt, thyme, cinnamon and pepper.
- Place half of the rutabaga in a 1-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray; brush with 1-1/2 teaspoons butter. Sprinkle with half of the flour mixture; top with half of the apple slices. Repeat layers. Pour apple juice over top.
- Toss bread crumbs and remaining butter; sprinkle over apple. Top with walnuts. Cover and bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until rutabaga and apple are tender. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews for Scalloped Rutabaga and Apple
"I absolutely love rutabaga, & this is the only sweetened recipe that I've tried, other than a similar recipe my grandma used to make. I left out the thyme and black pepper and this was pretty good."
"Reminds me of apple crisp but this dish is healthy with the rutabaga."