- 2 pounds potatoes (about 4 medium), peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh spinach
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°. Place potatoes in a large saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, 8-12 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Meanwhile, in another saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and onion; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until tender. Stir in garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- In a small bowl, whisk flour, broth and seasonings until smooth; stir into mushroom mixture. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream.
- Arrange half of the potatoes in a greased 1-1/2-qt. or 8-in.-square baking dish; top with spinach. Spread half of the hot mushroom sauce over top; sprinkle with 1 cup cheese. Layer with remaining potatoes, sauce and cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, 12-15 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Scalloped Potatoes with Mushrooms
"This is a tasty alternative to my regular scalloped potatoes recipe. We all loved the addition of spinach and mushrooms. Great for potlucks or holidays!"
"Easy and tasty. We're not big onion lovers so I used half a small onion. Smelled delicious, tasted just as good."