Scalloped Potatoes with Ham
This dish is a crowd-pleaser with its creamy sauce, chunks of ham and potato slices. I always enjoyed it when Mother made it. I added the parsley and the thyme, and now my husband and five children request it. —Wendy Rhoades, Yacolt, Washington
4 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour 20 min.
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled potatoes
- 1-1/2 cups chopped fully cooked ham
- 1 small onion, grated
- In a large saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter. Stir in flour,
- parsley, salt, thyme and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk;
- bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Combine potatoes, ham and onion; place half in a greased 2-1/2-qt.
- baking dish. Top with half of the sauce; repeat layers.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 65-75 minutes or until potatoes are
- almost tender. Dot with remaining butter. Bake, uncovered, 15-20
- minutes longer or until potatoes are tender. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 521 calories, 28 g fat (16 g saturated fat), 99 mg cholesterol, 2,343 mg sodium,