Scalloped Potatoes with Cheese Recipe
"AS A CHILD, I thought the crisp cheese-and-crumb topping on these potatoes made them a special treat. I remember how my aunt always saw to it everyone got some of that topping with their individual serving."
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 4 cups thinly sliced peeled potatoes (about 2 pounds)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 small green pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a small saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter; stir in flour, salt and pepper. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 2. In a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish, arrange half the potatoes, onion and green pepper in layers; cover with half of the sauce. Repeat layers.
- 3. Cover and bake at 350° for 35 minutes. Melt remaining butter; combine with bread crumbs and sprinkle over potatoes. Bake, uncovered, about 40 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
3/4 cup equals 378 calories, 18 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 58 mg cholesterol, 1,513 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 12 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC