- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 4 cups thinly sliced peeled potatoes (about 2 pounds)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 small green pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a small saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter; stir in flour, salt and pepper. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- In a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish, arrange half the potatoes, onion and green pepper in layers; cover with half of the sauce. Repeat layers.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 35 minutes. Melt remaining butter; combine with bread crumbs and sprinkle over potatoes. Bake, uncovered, about 40 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Scalloped Potatoes with Cheese
"I'm trying to figure out what I did wrong. I followed the ingredients however it ended up being VERY watery. Still great flavor but not creamy at all."
"I did quite a few additions, but used ths as a base. I added 1 tsp chicken base flavoring, 1/2 tsp paprika, 1/2 tsp tumeric and 1 tsp italian seasoning. I also didn't use the bread crumbs on top, or green peppers (didn't have) and added chopped ham that needed to be used up. I added shredded colby jack to each layer and baked for 55 minutes covered and uncovered for 15 min. Absolutely delicious!"
"I made this today along with TOH Grilled Pork Roast and German Cabbage for guest and everyone love it. Thanks TOH I will keep making this pork dish."
"This was very good. I will go to this recipe when I want to make scalloped potatoes."
"Double cheese layer and cook with recipe... don't use bread crumbs"
"Wonderful! Wonderful! The only difference I made was to forget the bread crumbs and butter for the top and added a can of cream style corn instead. Loved it - really creamy and delicious! Old fashioned taste."
"This was awful! Very dry and absolutely no flavor at all"
"I have several scalloped potato recipes that I use in rotation. They are a bit different from each other. I think this one is my personal favorite."
"Excellent, rich, creamy and delicious. You can't go wrong with these potatoes. And, they are so easy to make. Great sidedish!"