Scalloped Potatoes Etc. Recipe
The "Etc." in this family-heirloom recipe stands for all the homegrown vegetables my mother, now 90, once hand-diced before baking the casserole in her old reliable cookstove. My food processor now speeds up the preparation. But, otherwise, I follow Mom's recipe. So does my daughter—she recently told me, "It makes my apartment smell just like home!"
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 4 cups peeled potatoes, sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 1 cup carrots, sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup cubed ham
- 1 package (4 ounces) sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1. For sauce, melt butter in a small saucepan; stir in the flour, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in the milk; cook until thickened. Set aside.
- 2. In a greased 2-qt. baking dish, layer half of all vegetables and ham; cover with half of white sauce. Repeat layers. Sprinkle cheese over all. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Diabetic Exchanges: One serving equals 1 protein, 1 bread, 1 vegetable, 2 fats; also, 233 calories, 387 mg sodium, 43 mg cholesterol, 20 gm carbohydrate, 13 gm protein, 12 gm fat.
Reviews for Scalloped Potatoes Etc.
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC