Scalloped Potatoes and Veggies Recipe
If you're like me, you're always searching for easy side dishes. This vegetable medley in a creamy cheese sauce couldn't be simpler. It uses ingredients you likely have on hand and costs 24¢ a serving. —Linda Renberger Derby, Kansas
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup process cheese (Velveeta)
- 1. In a 2-qt. microwave-safe dish, combine the potatoes, carrots, onion and water. Cover and microwave on high for 5-1/2 minutes. Add peas; cook 3 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a 1-qt. microwave-safe dish, combine the flour, seasoned salt, mustard, pepper and milk until smooth.
- 3. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 3-4 minutes or until thickened and bubbly, stirring occasionally. Stir in cheese until melted. Drain vegetables; add cheese sauce and toss. Yield: 7 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 167 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 475 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC