Cheese makes any dish better, in my opinion, and this gooey, comforting potato and parsnip casserole is no exception. Even those who turn up their noses at vegetables will dig into this dish. —Corinna Platt, Bellingham, Washington
Recommended: 15 Favorite Easter Dinner Ideas
- 6 large Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 medium parsnips, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 medium leek (white portion only), thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded white cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded fontina cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Place the potatoes, parsnips and garlic in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, cook leek in butter over medium heat for 3-4 minutes or until tender. Stir in the flour, salt, pepper, cayenne and nutmeg until blended. Gradually add cream. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the cheeses, thyme and Worcestershire sauce just until cheese is melted. Remove from the heat; stir into potato mixture.
- Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly and lightly browned. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Scalloped Potatoes and Parsnips in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2012, p150
Reviews for Scalloped Potatoes and Parsnips
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review