Scalloped Potatoes and Parsnips Recipe
- 6 large Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 medium parsnips, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 medium leek (white portion only), thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded white cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded fontina cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Place the potatoes, parsnips and garlic in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, cook leek in butter over medium heat for 3-4 minutes or until tender. Stir in the flour, salt, pepper, cayenne and nutmeg until blended. Gradually add cream. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the cheeses, thyme and Worcestershire sauce just until cheese is melted. Remove from the heat; stir into potato mixture.
- Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly and lightly browned. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Scalloped Potatoes and Parsnips in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2012, p150
Reviews for Scalloped Potatoes and Parsnips
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review