Scalloped Potatoes and Onions
Writes Dorothy Bateman from Carver, Massachusetts. "This creamy potato dish is so delicious. You can prepare it in the morning, than put it in the oven later—just be sure the sauce covers the potatoes so they won't turn brown."
6 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Bake: 2 hours
- 5 large potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-3/4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish, layer potatoes and onion. In a
- saucepan, melt the butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add
- broth, mayonnaise, salt and pepper; cook and stir for 2 minutes or
- until thick and bubbly. Pour over potatoes. Sprinkle with paprika.
- Cover and bake at 325° for 2 hours or until tender. Yield: 6
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 358 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 17 mg cholesterol, 668 mg sodium, 61 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 8 g protein.