Scalloped Potatoes and Hamburger
This reliable recipe has been in the family for years. I like the fact that it uses everyday ingredients so there's no running to the store at the last minute. - Doris Borneman, Forreston, Illinois
6 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- In a skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer half of the potatoes,
- onion and beef; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Repeat layers. In a
- bowl, combine the soup, milk and green pepper; mix well. Pour over
- top. Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 15
- minutes longer or until potatoes are tender. Yield: 6 servings.
When a recipe instructs you to season with salt and pepper to taste, start with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 pepper. Taste the finished food and gradually add more if needed. If the recipe has many canned or packaged foods (which usually contain a lot of sodium), 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper will likely suffice.