Scalloped Potatoes and Carrots Recipe
- 2-1/2 pounds potatoes (about 9 medium), peeled and sliced
- 5 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1-1/2 cups sliced onions
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- CHEESE SAUCE:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1. In a large Dutch oven, combine potatoes, carrots, onions, water and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt butter. Remove from the heat; stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in 1 cup cheese. Reduce heat; stir until cheese is melted. Drain the vegetables; layer half in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with half of the cheese sauce. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover and bake at 375° for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender. Yield: 6-8 servings.
3/4 cup: 255 calories, 12g fat (8g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 800mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 9g protein
Reviews for Scalloped Potatoes and Carrots
"A yummy side dish....loved it!"
"Excellent flavor and very easy to fix. Everyone from adults to kids loved it."
"Made this a few nights ago for four adults. Everyone raved about it. Great recipe. Will use this time and time again. Thanks for sharing!!!"
"Excellent!!! I've made it in the oven and in an actual dutch oven outside. Absolutely delicious and a favorite at the whole camp. I don't make any other kind of scalloped potatoes now."
"This was a big hit at our house. It will become the recipe I use when making scalloped potatoes."