Scalloped Potatoes 'n' Ham Casserole Recipe
I'm a home health nurse and got this recipe from one of my elderly clients, who had used it for years. Now, it's one of my family's favorites. It will never curdle, thanks to the secret ingredient of powdered nondairy creamer. You can serve this homey favorite for just 85¢ per serving. —Kathleen Johnson, Lake City, South Dakota
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 1 hour YIELD:6 servings
- 3/4 cup powdered nondairy creamer
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 6 large potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cups diced fully cooked ham
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, mix creamer and water until smooth. In a small saucepan, heat butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, onion, salt and paprika until smooth; gradually add creamer mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- 2. In a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, layer potatoes and ham; pour sauce over top. Bake, covered, 15 minutes. Uncover; bake 40-50 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender. Sprinkle with cheese; bake 5-10 minutes or until edges are bubbly and cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/4 cups equals 563 calories, 18 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 60 mg cholesterol, 1,166 mg sodium, 78 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 21 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC