Scalloped Parsnips Recipe
With Colby-Monterey Jack and crumbled bacon, this side dish always goes over well. It comes out of the oven golden brown and delicious.—Elaine Sabacky, Litchfield, Minnesota
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. YIELD:4-6 servings
- 1 pound parsnips, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1. Place parsnips in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8 minutes. Drain.
- 2. Place half of the parsnips in a greased 1-qt. baking dish. Combine the bread crumbs, cheese, salt and pepper; sprinkle half over parsnips. Repeat layers.
- 3. Pour cream over the top; sprinkle with bacon. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 169 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 349 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC