With Colby-Monterey Jack and crumbled bacon, this side dish always goes over well. It comes out of the oven golden brown and delicious.Elaine Sabacky, Litchfield, Minnesota
4-6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 pound parsnips, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Place parsnips in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8 minutes. Drain.
- Place half of the parsnips in a greased 1-qt. baking dish. Combine
- the bread crumbs, cheese, salt and pepper; sprinkle half over
- parsnips. Repeat layers.
- Pour cream over the top; sprinkle with bacon. Bake, uncovered, at
- 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Yield:
- 4-6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 169 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 349 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g protein.