Scalloped Ham and Cabbage Recipe
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 4 cups chopped cabbage
- 1. In a large skillet, saute ham, rice and onion in butter until rice is golden brown and onion is tender. Stir in the milk, soup, horseradish and salt. Add cabbage; cover and cook over low heat for 35-45 minutes or until the cabbage is tender, stirring occasionally. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 each: 291 calories, 16g fat (8g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 1268mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 13g protein.
Reviews for Scalloped Ham and Cabbage
"Maybe I shouldn't review this because I didn't have the horseradish to use, but I'm going to since several reviewers substituted mustard, which I did as well. While it was quick and easy to get it on the table, we just found the whole dish to be boring. It was also soft with not much texture, which might appeal to some people. I topped our servings with some french fried onions to help it out a bit, but we still didn't want to eat the leftovers."
"This was very tasty---good way to use left over ham. I used 4 cups of cabbage--but would use 1 cup of rice --not 1/2 c-. didnt seem to be enough rice."
"Have left over ham and a head of cabbage, so entered that here on Taste of Home today and came up with this recipe. My whole family loved it. Followed the recipe as written, except didn't have any horseradish, which I don't like anyway. It was yummy, and the kids age 1,5,7,9,16 all loved it."