Scalloped Chicken Casserole Recipe
This is a great catchall meal-in-one dish. Any meat can be used, and vegetables may be substituted based on what you have available.—Marion White, La Center, Washington
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 small green or sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 14 slices day-old whole wheat bread, cubed
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1. In a skillet, saute onions, celery, green pepper, carrots and garlic in oil until crisp-tender. Transfer to a large bowl; add chicken, cheeses, mayonnaise and parsley. Place half of the bread cubes in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with chicken mixture and remaining bread.
- 2. In a bowl, beat eggs; add milk, soup and Worcestershire sauce. Pour over casserole. Sprinkle with paprika. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 263 calories, 16 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 88 mg cholesterol, 452 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 14 g protein.
Reviews for Scalloped Chicken Casserole
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC