Scalloped Celery Recipe
A lot of celery is grown in this area, and this recipe is one of my favorites that features our "star crop". It's a very colorful dish and is perfect for get-togethers.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. YIELD:4-6 servings
- 4 cups thinly sliced celery
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons diced pimientos
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1. In a large skillet, saute celery in 4 tablespoons butter until tender, about 5 minutes. Remove celery with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- 2. Stir flour and salt into skillet until smooth. Gradually add milk; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms, green pepper, pimientos and cheese. Stir until cheese is melted. Return celery to pan; stir to coat.
- 3. Pour into a greased 1-qt. baking dish. Melt remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over the celery mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 246 calories, 18 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 626 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 8 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC