A lot of celery is grown in this area, and this recipe is one of my favorites that features our "star crop". It's a very colorful dish and is perfect for get-togethers.
- 4 cups thinly sliced celery
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons diced pimientos
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- In a large skillet, saute celery in 4 tablespoons butter until tender, about 5 minutes. Remove celery with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Stir flour and salt into skillet until smooth. Gradually add milk; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms, green pepper, pimientos and cheese. Stir until cheese is melted. Return celery to pan; stir to coat.
- Pour into a greased 1-qt. baking dish. Melt remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over the celery mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Scalloped Celery in Country Extra September 1998, p51
Reviews for Scalloped Celery
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review